Monday, October 5, 2009

Blogs, Collages, and Roberto Benigni

Charles just exposed me to Maira Kalman's blog today and I really love her use of text, both the handwriting style and the details she chooses to note.

http://kalman.blogs.nytimes.com/

Currently I'm trying to develop a narrative/story-telling quality within the collection of my own work.

Interested in descriptions that explain to you rather than tell you.
Roberto Benigni's character Attilio de Giovanni in La tigre e le neve says this:
"I told myself: 'There must be people whose job it is to use the right words, put things in a way... who when their heart beats, can get other people's hearts to beat.' That day I decided to become a poet."

The movie wasn't so great, but that line was worth it. I don't plan on being a poet, or for that matter probably not even a professional artist. But if you're going to communicate anything, one should strive to get their viewer/listener to feel it or react to it, not just understand it.




No comments:

Post a Comment