Saturday, November 7, 2009

Typewriter Conversations

Many people have asked me why I use a typewriter opposed to a computer.
"Am you one of those tragically hip kids that is just too cool for computers?"
Obviously not, as I write this blog. But I think typewriters are the next best thing to handwriting in terms of having a personality. Each typewriter is different as is the relationship of the typewriter with the writer. You see the mistakes, the movement, the hands that touched the machine.

After this statement I was immediately pointed in the direction of Naked Lunch. I watched the movie last night and have even more of an interest in the personality typewriters carry. However, if my Royal turns into a bug-like creature and begins speaking to me... I may start typing on my Mac.


Naked, Naked, Naked, Naked, Naked LUNCH.

3 comments:

  1. Caitlin,
    I'm bummed out about your broken clavicle and hope you're feeling better, but I have to ask the tough question.... (drum roll)... So where's your work? What are you doing? What are you making? Can we see it?
    I mean, don't get me wrong. Naked lunch is great. Have you read the book? (If not, then you should.) And I'm glad you found Barbara Kruger and Judith Henry - this is good. But I still want to know what's going on in the work itself. What have YOU overheard lately? What are you making? Will it gross me out or make me excited? Does your typewriter's personality get along with other typewriter personalities (like mine?) Can typewriters have multiple personalities? How is this filtering into the work? Let me know.
    J. Amadeaus Scott

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you thought about typecasting? Lots of us do it as a way to bring typewriters online. Scroll down to the Typecasting section of this link: http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/tw-links.html to see some examples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is so much great stuff here, Caitlin! Don't only move forward! For instance, don't leave the obstruction insight behind -- something happens there that is really rich and beautifully complements the collage technique. And the book ideas -- they are good beginnings, though i feel still that the container is too broad -- distance or time span are not strong enough ties to give cohesion to the work. Look for themes, common references ("HER"; "HIM"), means to create some kind of an echo system between the quotes.

    ReplyDelete